Let’s kick things off with some links to posts that caught my eye in the past day or so…
News You Can Use
- 12 Essential Social Media Cheat Sheets
Who doesn’t love cheat sheets!?! Heck, I had to double check one to write this post (I type in Markdown and sometimes the simple syntax isn’t so simple, except when it is…). So hope over and save these for later!
- 7 reasons businesses are still afraid of social media | memeburnLots of good points here, with excellent counter-points. The really important part isn’t the “you should get into social media because everyone else is…” it’s the next article.
- Social Media Becoming Top News Source For Many – Technology News – redOrbit
So, if social media is becoming a top news source for many—oh and one of the top sources for journalists too—and your company isn’t participating in social media, you might be missing out on an extra boost from news sources. Also, and back to the journalist part, Shane, A.J., and I all wind up being cited and interviewed in the mainstream media because journalists see what we write about in social media and then reach out to us. Now, wouldn’t you like to be cited by the media as an expert in your field? Show your expertise through social media and you very well could be.
- Research Shows Social Shares Impact Search Results | V3 Kansas City Integrated Marketing and Social Media Agency
Interesting how these three articles all dovetail together, huh? Well it wasn’t by accident I assure you. You want people to find your site through search engines? Of course you do. So social media and social sharing really does give a quantifiable boost to your search traffic. Sure we all thought sharing influenced search results, but this research really proves it. Create it, share it, find it. Nice.
- How To Leverage Social Media Lists And Reach Target AudiencesRemember how I was talking about how to manage your info flow using lists? Right, this post focuses just on one part of what I covered before—lists. Lists, not just for milk any more.
- Social Media Recruiting Update: The Impact In 2012… | Bit RebelsLast bit in the news you can use section, quick update on how social media is influencing how we do (and don’t) get jobs. The data speak for themselves, having a strong professional profile on social media can get you hired. And, yes, LinkedIn still rules the roost.
Twitter search gets an update
Yeah searching Twitter has been a hit and miss thing for years. Lots of other tools have been doing a somewhat better job, but third parties are also limited by the Twitter API with what they can get. Clearly Twitter doesn’t put those restrictions on themselves. You’d think that Twitter would have really awesome and powerful search tools…yeah until this week they didn’t. These posts give you the skinny on how to tap into the power of the new Twitter search (it was so easy even Shane could figure it out without asking me!)
- Twitter Blog: Simpler search
- How to Use Twitter’s New Search Features
- Twitter Search Adds “Search Within People You Follow”, Autocomplete, Related Results | TechCrunch
- Twitter Reveals New Search Experience
Social Media Rockstar Highlight: Cybele Negris
Cybele is one of Vancouver’s, Canada’s, and the whole freakin’ Internet’s pioneers. She’s the President and Co-founder of Webnames.ca and recently has been writing a series of articles for Business in Vancouver. Here are the articles she’s written thus far (I hope there are more to come), take a second to read them. You can thank me later.
- How to protect your company against hackers and scammers
- Ask The Experts—How do I turn my managers into leaders?
- Avoiding the ugly email: Five steps to a simple business brand and communications makeover
- Why your company needs to secure business domain names now
That’s it for this week. Have suggestions for news or people I should know about? Zap me a line at tris [at] socialized.me.